path: dependency for files NOT in macports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Dec 11 20:06:06 PST 2008

On Dec 11, 2008, at 20:34, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2008, at 17:14, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>>> The dependency is satisfied if the named port is installed,
>>> regardless
>>> of whether it actually provides the specified file.
>>
>> So in this case you would depend on
>>
>> path:/usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig/x11.pc:xorg-libX11
>>
>> If /usr/X11/lib/pxkgconfig.x11.pc exists that will satisfy (would
>> be the case on Leopard and later), and if not, then port xorg-
>> libX11 will be installed (for Tiger and earlier).
>
> Yeah, but what if someone has it in /usr/local/... or whatever...
> I guess I could do it with ${x11prefix}, but it would still be nice
> to have a "is this file in any prefix that would be searched for
> bin: lib: dependencies" kind of dependency such that
> bin:myapp:myapp would be equivalent to thisnewone:bin/myapp:myapp

It is already unsupported for users to have anything in /usr/local
while using MacPorts. We don't want to now reverse that policy.

bin: and lib: dependency styles wouldn't search /usr/local. Well, I
suppose, unless the user added /usr/local/bin to binpath in
macports.conf. But that would be unsupportable.