[MacPorts] #14062: Website does not render properly in IE7

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Fri Dec 19 22:59:08 PST 2008

On Dec 19, 2008, at 10:39 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2008, at 00:06, William Siegrist wrote:

>>> You can get the web site code here:
>>>
>>> http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/www
>>>
>>> I haven't yet understood why I seem to be getting different
>>> behavior out of the different pages (and even different behavior
>>> of http://www.macports.org/ vs. http://www.macports.org/
>>> index.php ) when they're all including the same common code to
>>> handle the headers.
>>
>> Getting consistent rendering with XHTML 1.1 is probably not worth
>> the effort. I doubt the site does anything requiring XHTML 1.1
>> anyway, so why not just serve an HTML 4.01 page? There's a good
>> WebKit blog post [1] about this issue too.
>>
>> -Bill
>>
>> [1]  http://webkit.org/blog/68/understanding-html-xml-and-xhtml/
>
> That article, written in September 2006, basically says forget XHTML
> and use HTML 4. Is that still the best advice today, over 2 years
> later? If so, I am given to wonder why we have the XHTML standard in
> the first place, if browser vendors recommend not using it.

Yes, its still valid due to browsers not behaving correctly with the
xml tags and the application/xhtml+xml content type. The following
pages are served as HTML 4.01:

http://webkit.org/
http://mozilla.org/

These are served as XHTML 1.0, which doesnt have the leading xml tag,
and they use an html content type, which is technically wrong but it
makes browsers handle it better:

http://microsoft.com/
http://opera.com/

So if the browser vendors are not using XHTML 1.1, why are we going
through all this trouble?

-Bill