port revision depndency

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 22 13:11:58 PST 2008

On Dec 22, 2008, at 08:15, Ian Grant wrote:

> That's the problem with the mosml-dynlib port I submitted. It
> requires a newer mosml port than the current one and people may
> have the older one installed already. Is there a workaround for
> this situation as well?

The mosml port is at version 2.01, which seems according to their web
site to be the current version. You're saying your mosml-dynlib port
requires a newer (in-development) version of moslm than that? If so,
a new port mosml-devel should be created to track the latest
development version of mosml. Then your mosml-dynlib port can depend
on that -- via the path:-syntax, listing a file mosml provides. In
your port, you can add a pre-configure check to make sure the version
of mosml is at least the one you need. You can look in the pure and
cairo ports for examples of how I've done this. (pure started
requiring a newer llvm than the stable version, so we have an llvm-
devel port, and I checked the version of llvm pre-configure to make
sure it was at least 2.4.)