[43783] trunk/base/src/port1.0/portconfigure.tcl

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Dec 28 12:14:09 PST 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> You are right, this might pull in unnecessary dependencies. Should we
>> remove the dependency if autoconf.cmd is not the default value and it
>> has to be declared in the port itself?
>
> Do we know how to do that? That sounds ideal.

I added a preliminary patch in ticket #17809 [1]. It adds hooks which
get executed when you specify autoconf.cmd and remove the dependency if
it was set before. The hook for use_autoconf was extended so now it
checks if autoconf.cmd is the default or if it was set before. Same
applies for use_{autoreconf,automake,xmkmf}.

It is not ideal yet. If the Portfile already has something like
'depends_build port:autoconf' in it, deps still get modified. This could
happen if the port author intended to explicitly use autoconf from
MacPorts, but it still adds 'depends_build bin:autoconf:autoconf' which
duplicates this dependency. Any thoughts how to avoid that?

I don't want to add too much of such logic at that place in port1.0 as
it slows down parsing the Portfile. What do other base hackers think
about this?

Rainer

[1] http://trac.macports.org/ticket/17809