Forcing Macports libs for X11 (Was Re: Error installing xpdf with openmotif)

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Sun Dec 28 12:56:30 PST 2008

On Dec 28, 2008, at 04:18, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>> Yeah... as for a server, do 'sudo port -v install xorg-server' ...
>> There might be a couple libs that aren't yet (just because I haven't
>> audited the list to make sure they're all here... but all the common
>> ones are).  The main packages not in Macports yet are fonts and base
>> applications (xdpyinfo, xset, etc...)
>
> Jeremy, first of all you are doing a great job with xorg in MacPorts!
>
> But if we want to use xorg-server, we would have to manually export
> DISPLAY. Or we would have to disable system's X11 in launchd and
> create
> our own .plist, right?

Pretty much.  The Macports X11.app behaves like the old Tiger X11.app
in that it doesn't interact with launchd at all.  In fact, there's
code in xorg-server which specifically unsets the DISPLAY environment
variable at startup if the CFBundleIdentifier is not org.x.X11 to
avoid conflict (meaning the launchd DISPLAY environment variable is
used *ONLY* by the org.x.X11 X11.app).  Thus if you want to use the
Macports X11.app instead of Leopard's with launchd, I'd recommend
doing (you NEED to be on 10.5.5 or later to have the right LaunchAgent
plist):

# Not tested or guaranteed to be typo-free
gsed -i 's:org.x.X11:org.x.X11Leopard:g' /Applications/Utilities/
X11.app/Contents/Info.plist
gsed -i 's:org.macports.X11:org.x.X11:g' /Applications/MacPorts/
X11.app/Contents/Info.plist

---

But if you don't care about the launchd support, it will work as-is.
Applications started within /A*/MacPorts/X11.app will have the
appropriate DISPLAY set for that server.