Restructuring Python ports?

Akira Kitada akitada at macports.org
Wed Dec 31 02:14:45 PST 2008

Folks,

As noted in FAQ [1], 'A number of "standard python modules" are built
separately from the python25 port'
and which have been causing difficulty maintaining/using Python with MacPorts.
The document says "People with a FreeBSD background will find
themselves familiar with this schema.",
but I have my doubt on this. Just look at FreeBSD Ports Search.[2]
There is no py25-zlib. There is not py25-hashlib, and so on.
These modules are essential to Python, so without these modules, it
cannot work so well.
So I would like to propose a reform of Python ports to brihg these
essential ports back to python port itself,
or at least add these moduels to the list of its dependencies, and
make it more usable and user-friendly.

Any thoughts?

[1] MacPorts FAQ: Why can't I import foo in Python 2.5?
http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#WhycantIimportfooinPython2.5

[2] About FreeBSD Ports
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/