Restructuring Python ports?

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Wed Dec 31 17:39:46 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 07:14:45PM +0900, Akira Kitada said:
> Folks,
>
> As noted in FAQ [1], 'A number of "standard python modules" are built
> separately from the python25 port'
> and which have been causing difficulty maintaining/using Python with MacPorts.
> The document says "People with a FreeBSD background will find
> themselves familiar with this schema.",
> but I have my doubt on this. Just look at FreeBSD Ports Search.[2]
> There is no py25-zlib. There is not py25-hashlib, and so on.
> These modules are essential to Python, so without these modules, it
> cannot work so well.
> So I would like to propose a reform of Python ports to brihg these
> essential ports back to python port itself,
> or at least add these moduels to the list of its dependencies, and
> make it more usable and user-friendly.
>
> Any thoughts?

Like python26 does now?  The advantage is of course that it works as some
who expect it to work like the system python, or the official one you
download from python.org.  The disadvantage is that it is heavier on
dependencies, adding the following to what python25 needs: zlib, openssl,
sqlite3, db46, gdbm, tcl, tk, and X11 (because of tk).

If we're not sure just yet which is preferred, do note that I haven't heard
anything personally that python26 brings in too many dependencies, nor have
any tickets been filed.  Of course 2.6 is still pretty new, and doesn't yet
have the module support the older versions do.

Bryan