Running unreleased MacPorts

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Wed Dec 31 17:44:30 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 01:18:09PM +0000, Ian Grant said:
> Dear List
>
> Is there a way to upgrade my macports installation to the currently unreleased revision?
>
> I guess I would need to check out the revision from SVN and build from source. Is there a way to run an unreleased tree in parallel with a working 1.7.0 tree?

You can either overwrite the base install with one from source (which
doesn't require you to reinstall your currently-installed ports), or you can
install it into a different prefix (which would need its own install of
ports).  The howto at

<http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/RunningTrunk>

discusses one method of running from the svn trunk.

For installing to a location different than /opt/local, you want to use the
--prefix, --with-tclpackage, --with-applications-dir, and
--with-frameworks-dir switches with configure.  I usually point the latter
three to subdirectories within the prefix used, keeping it all contained.

Bryan