Marking default variants (was: [MacPorts] #14178: Feature Request: show default_variants in "port variants foobar")

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Feb 4 09:13:18 PST 2008

MacPorts wrote:
> #14178: Feature Request: show default_variants in "port variants foobar"
> --------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  themolok at gmail.com  |       Owner:  macports-tickets at lists.macosforge.org
>      Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  new
>  I tried to write a patch for it, but I failed (I never wrote a single line
>  of tcl, and I'm a pretty lame programmer), anyway, I think it's really
>  trivial for who knows the port (the tcl script) codebase.
>
>  Now, for example, "port variants git-core" returns (note that doc is in
>  default_variants):
>  {{{
>  git-core has the variants:
>          universal
>          doc: Install HTML and plaintext documentation
>          svn: Bi-directional subversion repository support
>  }}}
>
>  I'd like to have something like:
>  {{{
>  git-core has the variants:
>          universal
>          doc: Install HTML and plaintext documentation (default)
>          svn: Bi-directional subversion repository support
>  }}}

I also thought about marking default variants some time ago, but I think
this should not only be added to port variants, but also to port info.
Where the latter will be more difficult, as default_variants are
currently not stored in PortIndex.

It would be good to e.g. mark them with a star.
     git-core 1.5.3.7, devel/git-core (Variants: universal, *doc, svn)

And this could also be used for port variants.
     git-core has the variants:
             universal
            *doc: Install HTML and plaintext documentation
             svn: Bi-directional subversion repository support

I don't like that (default) behind the description as it is not clear if
it is part of the description or not.

The star (or another symbol) could also be behind the variants name,
that's open for discussion. That's why I put this up on macports-dev@
instead of adding a comment to the ticket.

Rainer