Variants handling: my $0.02.

N_Ox nox at macports.org
Mon Feb 4 11:25:46 PST 2008

Le 4 févr. 08 à 18:32, Ryan Schmidt a écrit :

> On Feb 4, 2008, at 11:13, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> So how would I tell that a +variant is default? E.g. the lynx port
>> provides support for OpenSSL (+ssl) and GNU TLS (+gnutls). They
>> are conflicting variants, with +ssl in default_variants. But the
>> user has the choice to install it with GNU TLS by using -ssl +gnutls.
>

> Having to specify "-ssl +gnutls" is stupid. The way I see it, "ssl"
> and "gnutls" are two radio buttons. To select the radio button you
> want, you shouldn't also have to manually deselect the radio button
> you don't want. It should be automatic. Fixed the lynx port so it
> behaves this way, in r33752. (No new portfile syntax needed. :))

I had another idea for this one sometimes ago:

variant_group cypher {
	choice ssl { ... }
	choice gnutls { ... }
}

We could have attributes for the group like "unique" and "required"
to say we need one and only one choice in the group.

Regards,

--
Anthony Ramine, the "Ports tree cleaning Maestro".
<nox at macports.org>