Why compile Java ports and commons-logging

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Tue Feb 5 09:40:57 PST 2008

Blair Zajac wrote:

> Additionally, with the upgrade to Spring 2.5.x, one needs JDK 6 to
> compile it, so for that port, I had to disable compilation and just
> use the supplied jar's, which I'm happy to do.
>
> The only reason I see to compile a Java port is if you are patching
> the source code.

Isn't running the supplied jar just like running the supplied binary ?
Seems more like a question of binary blob versus open source to me...

Then again, a working binary might be better than a broken source :-)
(depending on who you ask, other projects like JPackage* recompile all)

--anders

* see http://www.jpackage.org/jpprequest.php