Installation Documentation

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Tue Feb 12 22:51:58 PST 2008

On Feb 12, 2008, at 10:20 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently we have two tutorials how to install MacPorts:
> One at
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/InstallingMacPorts
> and another one in the guide at
> http://guide.macports.org/#installing
>
> It is obviously difficult to keep them at sync. For example the wiki
> entry does not cover Leopard at all and still says that you should
> set DISPLAY. I think they should be unified into one place.

	The only reason why some of those wiki docs exist is because until
very recently we didn't have any form of organized and *truly*
official documentation after the move to Mac OS Forge, so gaps had to
be filled one way or another.

	We now have our shiny and proud guide, which covers on official
grounds (most of) that documentation and, officially of course,
deprecates the corresponding wiki docs. The only reason why I still
haven't moved to delete them is that I haven't had the chance to go
over them and check that the guide doesn't miss out on any of the
information they might have.

	It is my intention to turn the wiki mostly into a "How-To"-sort-of
source of information, e.g. with tutorials on stuff like setting up
MAMP, GNOME and what-not, or more live stuff like the FAQ, problems
hotlist and others, but not an "official" source of documentation on
MacPorts setup and usage. I tried a couple of times to recruit a small
task force to do this job but unfortunately failed to get much
traction.... and then my daily schedule in the last few weeks went
totally berserk and left me without much spare time. So if anyone
reading this is interested in helping with this task, then please do
raise your hand!

> Rainer

	Regards,...

-jmpp