Improvements for automated port lint

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Wed Feb 13 18:59:51 PST 2008

On Feb 12, 2008, at 12:59 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2008, at 02:24, William Siegrist wrote:
>
>> On Feb 11, 2008, at 11:56 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks to William Siegrist for setting up the automated port lint
>>> and email following each commit! Now here's some thoughts about
>>> some problems and how they could be dealt with.
>>>
>>> * Possibly obsoleting both of the above observations, what would
>>> people think about appending the port lint report to the diff
>>> email that's already generated and sent to macports-changes? I'm
>>> not sure if this is the best idea, or even possible with the diff
>>> email script we use, but the idea occurred to me so I thought I'd
>>> see what others think.
>>
>> I can work on the first two points sometime this week probably. The
>> script is in the repo also, so I'll take patches of course if
>> someone wants something specific/quicker.
>
> Attached should be a patch for my point #2 above. I didn't test it
> but it seems simple enough.

Thanks. The subject line is fixed.

>> On the 3rd point, the email/diff script is a 3rd-party perl module,
>> so this would be more work.
>
> We're using svnnotify. I see from "svnnotify --help" that it has an
> option "--footer" to specify the text of a footer to append to the
> email. Maybe that would work?

Good idea with --footer. There is still the problem is getting two
independent post-commit processes to share data, but at least its all
at the hook level and not in svnnotify internals.  The way hooks are
laid out for Mac OS Forge makes this tricky, so I'll try to work out a
solution on the server.

>> This does bring up the point I asked before (though maybe just to
>> the MP management), do we want lint emails to go to one of the
>> mailing lists instead of just the maintainers?
>
> I remember you sending me that question, and me not responding;
> sorry! I initially thought we shouldn't spam any of the mailing
> lists. Appending the lint report to the existing diff mail, though,
> might make sense. Then again, it might not, since the warnings and
> errors reported by lint may or may not have resulted from that
> commit. Also, it's possible (maybe even likely) that the maintainer
> is not subscribed to macports-changes and thus wouldn't see the lint
> report. However, if the maintainer doesn't care enough to be on
> macports-changes, maybe they don't care to see the lint reports
> either. Maybe it's primarily the committer who should see the lint
> report, and all committers are hopefully subscribed to macports-
> changes.

This reminds me... Right now the email goes to the _maintainers_, not
the committer. There are cases where the committer is not a
maintainer, right? We should probably add in the committer when they
arent also a maintainer?

-Bill

----
William Siegrist