Let's avoid using md5 as checksum

David Bruce dbruce at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Feb 16 03:41:10 PST 2008

Hi,

I'm the upstream maintainer of tuxmath, and I also want to add it to MacPorts
and become the port maintainer for it.  So, regarding checksums, I take it
that it would be best (from the point of view of MacPorts, and probably
anyone else who cares to verify that they are getting unaltered source) to
generate all three hashes and provide them at the tuxmath download site?

I'm just learning, but it seems the port process involves three things:
1. writing a working Portfile.
2. adapting the source, if needed, to get it to build properly under the port
system.  Since I'll be both port maintainer and upstream, I don't think this
will need to involve patches.
3. making the download site play nicely with MacPorts, which could be things
like providing the three checksums and making it possible for ports to check
if a new version has been released.

I submitted a trac ticket with the first draft Portfile (#14279), and it still
seems to be in limbo.  Is there something else I'm supposed to be doing?  I
really would like to contribute to this project.

Thanks,

--
David Bruce