unison and protocol breakage

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Feb 18 16:41:35 PST 2008

On Feb 18, 2008, at 6:39 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> php4 contains some functionality that was dropped or changed in php5,
> so some sites that work with php4 do not work with php5 without some
> changes. A developer of such a site might reasonably want to install
> php4 using MacPorts to continue developing his site.

both php4 and php5 are currently actively supported release versions
of php, as well.

> The several postgresql ports exist, as I understand it, because the
> database format is binary-incompatible between releases, requiring
> the user to perform a manual migration. It was thought that breaking
> a user's database just because they ran "sudo port upgrade outdated"
> was rude.

postgresql.org also lists 7.4.19, 8.0.15, 8.1.11, 8.2.6, and 8.3.0
under 'Latest Releases' (all are currently supported versions)

>> Note: It really is fairly trivial to install unison by hand once you
>> have OCaml installed. If you have a debian machine that doesn't
>> provide unison 2.27, just install it manually! Seriously! It's easier
>> than trying to get Unison 2.13 into MacPorts.
>
> I would still agree it's better to install the latest software on the
> other machine, rather than get the older software into MacPorts.

True, but I don't see why we care if someone wants to be responsible
for maintaining a port for an older version for one reason or another
(we can always remove it if/when it becomes unmaintained).
--
Daniel J. Luke