ld: cycle in dylib re-exports with /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Feb 20 03:56:34 PST 2008

The Apple Developer Technical Q&A on this problem

	http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2007/qa1567.html

says the fix is to add this to LDFLAGS:

	-dylib_file FILE:FILE

where "FILE" is "/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/
A/Libraries/libGL.dylib"

These ports do it this way: djvulibre, enblend, fox, fxscintilla, gst-
plugins-bad, py25-gtkglext, xforms

However we have some ports that instead add this to LDFLAGS:

	-Wl,-dylib_file,FILE:FILE

These ports do it this way: aqbanking, geomview, glut, gtkglarea2,
gvemod-cplxview, gvemod-crayola, gvemod-labeler, gvemod-ndview,
gvemod-xforms-example, gvemodules-xforms, gwyddion, koffice,
maniview, orrery, scribus

What's the difference? Which one is better and why? If neither is
better, why aren't we always doing it the Apple-recommended way?