[MacPorts] #14342: python25 drops modules by default, but python25 doesn't

js ebgssth at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 06:48:08 PST 2008

Hi Markus,

> does not compute: "python25 drops but python25 doesn't" --
>  contradiction detected. ;)

Oops! That's typo.
My question was why python2.4 and 2.5 is different.

>  If the question was why python25 does not build all auxiliary modules
>  [1] like _sqlite3 etc.: For people who don't need e.g. tk-support,
>  building all those dependencies is unnecessary.
>  We had this discussion of which modules would be cool to include by
>  default and which not to already. Conclusion was that either we rename
>  python25 to python25-core and make a "virtual" port python25 that
>  requires all modules+python25-core OR to make a python25-all (or
>  whatever) port that collects all "cool" modules by dependency. The
>  former sucks because we would need to change a lot of dependencies and
>  the latter never made it into the repository because nobody cared
>  enough. If someone is keen on getting the former to work: Please fix
>  all dependencies!!! (And please also make this consistent for 2.4 and
>  3.0)

Thanks for thorough explanation. That makes sense.
The reason why I started this discussion is that
I want to make python24 to be python25-like port.
What if I created patches for this,
Would you accept that changes?

As for python25's design you brought up, I prefer the former,
which apparently not your favorite :)
The former reminds me of Debian/GNU Linux's "python" package.
The python package is a dependency package which depends on
"default python", python2.4 and python-minimal.
Any chance making this changes?

To be honest, I also want to change py- prefix ports to py24-
but this plan is rejected recently...