72 hours are not enough for maintainers?

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Thu Feb 21 08:52:34 PST 2008

I think this really begins to stretch the notion of "maintainer".  He
wants a week, you want two weeks, some other maintainers will probably
say they want a month, before long you have a lot of ports being held
hostage behind long-lived locks for no reason other than the fact that
people want the ability to claim sole maintainership of ports AND take
long vacations.

I'm not saying that volunteers should not be allowed to take a few
weeks off when they want to - they're volunteers and should be able to
take any amount of time off - I'm saying that taking time off and
having hard locks in the ports collection are not concepts that work
well in combination.  Any successful project either has a dedicated
team of volunteers checking their queues at least 2 or 3 times a week
with hard locks, or it has more relaxed volunteers and soft locks that
time out relatively quickly.  We have subversion, changes can always
be reviewed and backed out if necessary, and it's far better to err on
the side of not frustrating people who want to contribute.  This
lesson has been learned repeatedly in other open source projects.

I think 72 hours is a very reasonable time out period.  If you're that
attached to your ports, chances are very good that you'll be checking
your trac queue more often than this anyway, and if you're not that
attached to them, then why be concerned if someone else makes changes?

- Jordan