MacPorts caching of distfiles [was Re: ntfs-3g 1.1120 source missing]

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Fri Feb 22 20:08:29 PST 2008

The server would grab distfiles during post-commit I imagine (assuming
the checksums get changed, patchfiles added, etc). So similar to the
way we handle linting of Portfiles during post-commit, we would check
for these changes. I just dont want to implement some hack of parsing
Portfiles manually, so I'd like a way to ask "port what-changed". That
would be done in a tmp directory with 2 copies of the Portfile (the
server handles gathering these) from revs HEAD-1 and HEAD.  The "what-
changed" operation should print URLs and checksums for the server to
retrieve.  I can take it from there.

Not sure how easy that is given the current API; thats the part I was
hoping someone familiar with the MP Tcl code could assist with.

-Bill

On Feb 22, 2008, at 7:11 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:
> William Siegrist wrote:
>> I already made the offer to portmgr a while back, so they know.  I
>> think there needs to be some added API to macports in order to
>> make  the engineering a little cleaner server-side, but there hasnt
>> been  much discussion yet.  So if anyone wants to take the lead on
>> behalf of  MacPorts, I'll help/support whatever we come up with for
>> accomplishing  the mirroring.
>
> One of these things would be how we would push files on the mirror?
> If we keep master_sites we could use something like `port fetch all'
> in a cronjob or in a post-commit hook. But that will have the
> problem that it currently port fetch will not remove old distfiles.
> So this would need improvement.
> Alternatively committers would have to upload there files manually
> which would be more work for them and also more error-prone.
>
> And I think we should move this discussion to macports-dev at .
>
> Rainer

----
William Siegrist
Software Support Engineer