MacPorts caching of distfiles [was Re: ntfs-3g 1.1120 source missing]

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Fri Feb 22 21:34:32 PST 2008

On Feb 22, 2008, at 9:02 PM, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2008, at 8:08 PM, William Siegrist wrote:
>
>> The server would grab distfiles during post-commit I imagine
>> (assuming the checksums get changed, patchfiles added, etc). So
>> similar to the way we handle linting of Portfiles during post-
>> commit, we would check for these changes.
>
> It could be done that way, but I think it's overkill to try and add
> hooks for when ports are added when we can simply fetch in batch
> mode once a night or so.  As I noted in my previous posting, support
> for that already exists.
>
> - Jordan

We dont really see any dips in server load, so waiting until night (or
any time in particular) doesnt buy us anything.  I'm assuming you
still agree with only fetching distfiles when they change, and we
already have all the work done for this sort of post-commit job, so
batching them just delays their availability.

-Bill

----
William Siegrist
Software Support Engineer