Portfile modification date checks vs. Portfile revisions

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Feb 23 04:35:20 PST 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Isn't it fine the way it works now? It's that way, I think, so that,
> if you already have foo installed, but now you want foo +bar, you can
> "sudo port install foo +bar", and it'll fetch and configure and build
> and destroot and install, however long that takes, and then it'll
> print the message that foo is already installed. Then you can "sudo
> port deactivate foo" and "sudo port activate foo +bar" and within a
> few seconds have the port swapped out.

But if I already got foo, I don't want to wait for `port install foo'
take a long time just to tell me that I already got it.

Maybe my request was not clearly phrased. If the Portfile modification
date is newer than the installation date, "port install foo" will always
begin to fetch and build, although you can't install the exact same
port/version/revision/variant twice. Installing will just not succeed.
And the time spent on building this was most probably wasted.

By the way, if I want a port with additional variants, I use `port -unf
upgrade foo +bar'.

Rainer