MacPorts caching of distfiles [was Re: ntfs-3g 1.1120 source missing]

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Mon Feb 25 12:27:42 PST 2008

On Feb 24, 2008, at 9:29 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>>> All distfiles in one single directory? I am against that at all!
>> Why?  Collisions?   If so, please name the collisions in question,
>> because I cannot find any.
>
> Maybe not yet, but maybe they will come in later? Why not be
> collisions aware?

Because given the $portname-$portversion naming of 99% of the
distfiles (and the unique names of the 1% that are left), I just don't
see collisions as a problem.  I don't see it as a problem with the
FreeBSD ports collection either, and they're almost 3X bigger than we
are.

>> If you add indirection to this then you lose the ability to have a
>> global URL path that points to a mirror (either that or you need
>> to  add extra logic to the MacPorts fetch code).
>
> Why are you against adding more logic to the fetch code?

Because it's always "someone" who gets to add it and that someone
hasn't volunteered yet.   If you're volunteering, then I withdraw most
of my objection.

> And have one big cluttered directory without any links which file
> belongs to which port? With the distname approach, it adapts the
> layout of /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles where distfiles are
> currently stored locally.

I guess this just doesn't bother me as much as it evidently bothers
you.  I like the notion of a single URL which points to all the
distfiles.   Again, however, if you're volunteering to do the work in
MacPorts then you're supporting your proposal in the only way that
really counts and I'm happy to withdraw my objection.

- Jordan