How should MacPorts show users instruction messages (was: user instructions - was ... mysql5 + php5 + apache2)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Feb 29 05:34:33 PST 2008

js wrote:
> I don't think this is not worth the effort.
> if there were a way to provide instrictions, it would encourages
> developer to write more messages I suppose.

One option would be to simply hold back any message until all ports
installed and output them afterwards. So all messages would be at the
end of the log.

Or, use some new target like print_message {}, but which would need to
be stored in the registry after installation to be always available in
the state as it was on install.

For this rather long nedi help, I would prefer to put them into some
file like /opt/local/share/doc/nedi/INSTALL.macports and just print a
message that there is additional help in this file.

Rainer