darwinports.com

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Mon Jan 7 23:38:36 PST 2008

I think there's little point in pursuing this further.   We went
through the whole froo-frah about this back when MacPorts was called
DarwinPorts and darwinports.com was first brought to the project's
attention.  At that time, we negotiated unsuccessfully for the domain
transfer and ultimately chose to change the project name to MacPorts
and extensively rebrand the project (after, of course, obtaining all
the appropriate macports domains this time around).

The matter should now rest since it's hard enough just enforcing your
actual project name much less going after derivatives.  What next?
Someone could register any one of macosports.com, macosxports.com,
macsoftwareports.com, etc etc (all of which are closer to macports and
even more likely to cause confusion) and the project would quickly
find itself spending more time chasing people with sticks than
actually maintaining ports.  The darwinports.com horse is already dead
and buried, and the set of folks who still remember it as
"darwinports" is a decreasing number of people, so at some point the
problem will ultimately solve itself.

- Jordan