Different dmgs for different felines

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Wed Jan 9 23:03:18 PST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008, at 1:29 AM, Boey Maun Suang wrote:

> On Wed, January 9, 2008 8:14 am, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:
>
>> 	Maun Suang, since you reported to me that you already got the
>> Panther
>> dmg built, and that the errors you're experiencing (ui_prefix)
>> manifest themselves regardless of whether you install from the dmg or
>> from source, what would you say about uploading that dmg regardless
>> of
>> the bug?
>
> Actually, I never built the Panther dmg precisely because the
> ui_prefix/ui_channels problem prevented me from accessing
> sysutils/MacPorts! (I not sure how I gave the impression that I had,
> but
> apologies for however it happened).

	So, you installed MacPorts 1.6.0 from source on Panther and then with
that installation attempted to build the dmg? Gotta love bugs while
bootstrapping! ;-)

	I thought you had 1.5.2 or earlier installed and were working off
that. But in any case,....

> Anyway, I've now created the Panther dmg by applying the patches from
> r32105 [1], r32212 [2], r32514 [3] and r32525 [4] after sysutils/
> MacPorts'
> patch phase; these patches were cherry-picked to ensure that the
> Panther
> dmg is as close as possible to the Tiger and Leopard ones.

	All these patches are minor and will shortly end up in the
release_1_6 branch, so I don't think there's any problem in having
them in this not-so-stock 1.6.0 Panther dmg. Thanks for the hard work!

> The resultant
> Panther dmg passes the tests in the "Create Release Disk Image(s)"
> section
> of base/portmgr/ReleaseProcess, with the caveat that daemondo isn't
> built
> on Panther (see the configure script test for
> CFNotificationCenterGetDarwinNotifyCenter(), which is only in 10.4 and
> later [5]) and thus doesn't need testing; I updated ReleaseProcess to
> reflect this in r32631.

	Sure thing, thanks for adding the note to the ReleaseProcess file.

> The dmg and checksums updates were uploaded in
> r32630, but I'll leave it to you as to when to restore the links to it
> from www.macports.org.

	Done!

> By the way, Juan, /trunk/base/portmgr/dmg/postflight in the repository
> seems well out of sync with
> /branches/release_1_6/base/portmgr/dmg/postflight.  Is that supposed
> to be
> the case?

	Yes. See http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-January/008206.html
  for the explanation why.