Call for help testing release_1_6's revamped postflight script

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Fri Jan 11 12:09:40 PST 2008

	As some of you may have seen, I've been improving the postflight
script in the release_1_6 branch with the feedback I've received so
far, plus some other relevant fixes/improvements.

	I've tested it locally on both virgin and customized accounts,
extensively, and have found it to work reliably so far. Nevertheless,
we all know a single workstation is no high quality measure ;-) so I'd
like to openly call for wider testing in case I'm missing bugs that my
environment is not surfacing.

	If you're up for it, please grab the script off this URL [1] and take
it for a hard ride on whatever environment you can think of. I've
tried to bullet-proof it for straight forward functionality in a
default environment and to be as polite and non-disruptive as possible
in a non-default one.

	For those of you wondering what I'm considering as a default
environment, have a read at:

http://guide.macports.org/#installing.binary.postflight.details

	That, plus the fact that I only do it for bash and tcsh shells, and
the latter only as legacy support for Jaguar and previous accounts
(Maun Suang, can we add a note about this to the guide section
above?). I'm somewhat considering removing such support because
tweaking tcsh configuration file has proven a tad difficult:

  1) It's not easy to invoke a non-interactive, login tcsh shell
session. In a nutshell, so far it has proven impossible for me. This
limits my ability to properly test the environment to figure out what
I need to add and what I don't, which takes me onto 2) below
  2) It's not clear to me whether I should write to ~/.tchsrc,
~/.cshrc or ~/.login (I've heard solid claims for all of them),
barring my inability to properly test the environment;
  3) barring 2), the form of the settings to be written varies ("set
foo = bar" Vs. "setenv foo bar");
  4) I'm by no means a tcsh user, so all I can do is *guess* the best
approach in unpleasant tcsh debugging sessions ;-)

	In my various instances of 4), plus very kind help from both Eric
Hall and Wilfredo Sanchez at times, have lead me to a combination of
~/.tcshrc with "setenv foo bar" statements, which I think works fairly
well. But still, I'd love some experienced tcsh using eyes if
available to shed some more light on this aspect of the script
(thinking a bit more about it, resolving 1) above would probably solve
this entire problem).

	So, without any further ado, I'd appreciate as much help I can get in
testing this script and, in case of failure, getting detailed reports
if possible. Success reports are also of course welcomed!

	Regards,...

-jmpp

[1] http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/browser/branches/release_1_6/base/portmgr/dmg/postflight?format=ra