tetex/texlive dependencies

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Fri Jan 11 13:09:57 PST 2008

On 2008-01-11 10:09:21 +0100, Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Not sure if that is a great example. For now, _only_ perl5.8 provides
> the ${prefix}/bin/perl program and perl5.10 doesn't provide it. Should
> it follow the lead of python24/python25, where _none_ of the ports
> supplies ${prefix}/bin/python since r28120, then there wouldn't be
> *anything* providing a "perl" program (just like with "python", that
> defaults to using /usr/bin/python - unless the user runs python_select
> manually for a different version) but only versioned ones like
> "perl5.8.8" and "perl5.10.0". That this whole situation sucks, as you
> have to patch each and every #! line to use a versioned interpreter, is
> a different story...

While different python versions are incompatible, different perl
versions should be compatible (there are very few backward
incompatibilities, but modules based on them should be seen as buggy).
So, I'd say that perl5.10 should completely replace perl5.8, i.e. it
should provide ${prefix}/bin/perl, and if some modules ever fail with
5.10[*] and the bug can't easily be fixed, then the perl5.8 port could
provide a variant without ${prefix}/bin/perl.

[*] Also look at reports on CPAN, testers sometimes do wrong things!

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>