[32715] epochs and the guide / was .. portfile-keywords.xml

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Fri Jan 11 16:03:23 PST 2008

>On Jan 11, 2008, at 16:51, markd at macports.org wrote:
>
>> - <para>If an epoch is used it must must never be
>> decreased or reset
>> - to zero, because this would always cause a port version
>> comparison
>> - to be incorrect after a port upgrade.</para>
>> + <para>An epoch is not needed for most ports. If an epoch
>> is used it
>> + must never be decreased without updating the port's
>> version number;
>> + this will cause port version comparisons to be
>> incorrect.</para>
>
>I was led to believe that an epoch should never be decreased, ever,
>once it has been added to a portfile, even if the port's version is
>increased. I understood that the epoch takes precedence over the
>version. Do you have new information to the contrary?

I don't think the FreeBSD Porter's handbook states it clearly, some parts
I'd interpret as agreeing with your understanding and other parts seem to
say otherwise.  But then I don't know for sure that MacPorts works the
same anyway.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-naming.html#MAKEFILE-NAMING-REVEPOCH

I think discussion from someone (I forget who) some time ago made me to
think otherwise so I changed it when revising the section.  But I'm not
really sure.  If could someone could find out one way or another it would
be great to know for sure and document it.

Mark