apache mirrors

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 12 19:59:59 PST 2008

In base/src/port1.0/resources/fetch/mirror_sites.tcl we define the
apache mirror sites this way:

set portfetch::mirror_sites::sites(apache) {
     http://www.apache.org/dist/
     http://archive.apache.org/dist/
     http://apache.planetmirror.com.au/dist/
     ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/apache/dist/
     ftp://ftp.is.co.za/Apache/dist/
     ftp://ftp.infoscience.co.jp/pub/net/apache/dist/
}

But at

	http://www.apache.org/dist/

it says in bold letters

	Please do not download from apache.org!

And at

	http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/

it says

	Download from your nearest mirror site! Do not download from
www.apache.org. Please use a mirror site to help us save apache.org
bandwidth.

There are dozens of mirrors available. Should we add these to our
apache mirror sites list?

They provide a randomized or perhaps load-balanced download CGI, e.g.:

	http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/apr/apr-0.9.17.tar.bz2

but that doesn't redirect you to the file; it returns an HTML page
which contains a link to download the file. We could write a wrapper
PHP script for this and stick it on www.macports.org and use that as
the first apache mirror download location. This would make better use
of the available mirrors and only fall back to www.apache.org and the
rest if the script fails for some reason. I'd be happy to write that
script if it's decided it's a good idea.