New port needs commit

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Sun Jan 13 11:18:23 PST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008, at 2:29 PM, Luis O'Shea wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2008, at 9:30 AM, Simon Ruderich wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 10:17:15PM -0500, Luis O'Shea wrote:
>>> Could someone commit the new port for asymptote?  See ticket #13249
>>> (http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/13249).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Luis
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just committed it [1] with one minor change. I added a post-
>> activate hook with
>> calls mktexlsr to make sure asymptote is found.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Now that the port is committed I wanted to make sure it worked, but
> I have run into a problem.
>
> After the commit, I uninstalled asymptote, removed the reference to
> my local port hierarchy from sources.conf, and did a selfupdate.

	Why did you do that? What did the entry that you removed look like,
and what lead you to the conclusion that you needed to remove it in
the first place?

> However port seemed to not find the new asymptote port:
>
> % port info asymptote
> Error: Port asymptote not found
>
> But ${prefix}/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
> graphics/asymptote/Portfile does exist.  I tried deleting ${prefix}/
> var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/PortIndex and
> doing another selfupdate, but that did not help.

	Entries in sources.conf point MacPorts to a valid PortIndex file,
from which ports and their info are gathered; if there are no entries
in sources.conf, no PortIndex will be found (regardless of the file(s)
actually existing on the local filesystem). In the case of a stock
MacPorts intallation, the rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
URL is the only entry in the souces.conf file, and it gets mapped
locally to ${prefix}/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/
ports/PortIndex as you infer. Nevertheless, again, if you remove the
entry from sources.conf the corresponding index will not be found by
MacPorts.

	I'm curious as to what lead you to believe you needed to remove the
entry, in case it's something in our documentation that's misleading
you. In any case, the only thing you need to update your local ports
tree and get fresh search results is put the entry back and issue a
"selfupdate" regularly, plain and simple.

	Regards,...

-jmpp