tetex/texlive dependencies

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 14 02:06:15 PST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008, at 03:18, Emmanuel Hainry wrote:

>>> - Seems like it would be more valuable to say "either this port
>>>   or that port" rather than "depends on file", because there
>>>   might be many many files that need to be supported.
>>
>> Perhaps. But MacPorts does not currently have any syntax for
>> specifying
>> that, and we've gotten along without it so far. The alternative
>> that we
>> currently have available is to specify that a port depends on a
>> certain
>> file existing, and if it does not, then install one particular
>> port that
>> provides that file. There might be another port (or ports) that could
>> also provide that file, but the user would have to know about this
>> and
>> install that other port first. The dependent port that's specified
>> should
>> be the one that "most" users would want.
>
> At the moment, what dependent ports will check for is a texmf tree
> (provided by texlive_texmf-minimal and some binaries (latex, pdflatex,
> mktexlsr...). So the best dependency scheme would probably be
> bin:latex:texlive.  So that people with tetex who do not care to have
> the latest distribution can live with teTeX (which works well).

Using something like "bin:latex:texlive" is discouraged because a
latex binary outside of the MacPorts prefix would satisfy the
dependency, but we don't want it to; we only want latex binaries
installed by MacPorts to be detected[1]. Therefore, "path:${prefix}/
bin/latex:texlive" should be used instead.

[1] http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
FAQ#WhyisMacPortsusingitsownlibraries