(Mass) Update for gtkglext on leopard?

Rolf Würdemann rowue at digitalis.org
Tue Jan 15 16:07:41 PST 2008

Am 15.01.2008 um 06:28 schrieb Boey Maun Suang:

> Hi Rolf,
>
>> as you (perhaps) now, there is a linking problem with gtkglext on
>> leopard
>> that is fixed (#13624) ...
>>
>> the maintainer doesn't react, so I would send him an email and wait
>> 72 hours before commiting the update. (after sign in for commiter
>> is done)
>>
>> but all applications using gtkglxt have to get updated too (#13737)
>> Soo - what should I do? Wait for all maintainers (if avail) to change
>> the portfiles? - Do an automatic mass update? (Some shell script
>> which appends the portfiles and commits them (one by one))?
>> Write all maintainers to change their portfiles?
>>
>> The documentation state this problem as an exception to the rules
>> of changing only one file per time/wait for the maintainers...
>>
>> what is your opinion/recommandation?
>
> First of all, thanks for the fix to gtkglext.  I'd have tested your
> patch with a view to committing it a while ago, but I don't have
> Leopard.  And congratulations on becoming a committer!

First: Thanks - second: a friend of mine is using leopard - and I can
use his machine for testing ;)

> As for the updates to other ports, if it's only a matter of re-
> enabling gtkglext support at configure/build time, then I think
> that the normal "72-hour wait then commit" policy is in order.  (If
> you do do that, don't forget to bump the revision number in the
> port so that users get the change, unless it's only in a variant; I
> still miss that occasionally.)  If, on the other hand, the port
> depending on gtkglext needs more extensive work, I'd wait to
> consult with the port maintainer.

Each Port will get an variant part (for leopard) with three lines in
it (setting ldflags) - if you want to see,
look at #13737 (http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/13737)

I'll Email the maintainers after #13624 (http://trac.macports.org/
projects/macports/ticket/13624) is committed
(currently waiting for reply ;)

> Finally, as for how to do the patches to the ports.  Personally, if
> the patches are all virtually identical (e.g. just adding a "--with-
> gtkglext" to configure.args), then I'd be happy doing it in one
> patch.  However, I'd split off into separate patches anything that
> was a little different (or significantly different) from the
> others, just so it's easier to revert and fix just in case an
> unforeseen problem comes up.

And better to supervise ;) - I'll do one patch for each port ;)

> I hope that the above seems sensible and useful.  And, once again,
> welcome to the committers' club!

Thanks**2 again ;)

> Kind regards,
>

> Maun Suang

cheers,

	Rolf

--
			               Security is an illusion - Datasecurity twice
   Rolf Würdemann    -   private: rowue at digitalis.org   -   office:
rowue at crew-gmbh.de
   GnuPG fingerprint:          7383 348F 67D1 CD27 C90F DDD0 86A3
31B6 67F0 D02F
   jabber: rowue at digitalis.org 2F66A061 89BCA1A0 AD654827 6FD037FF
53C3E932