Subject: [32751] net/dhcp startupitem

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Wed Jan 16 01:07:56 PST 2008

>i Mark,
>
>So it looks like the bit magic that got this to work is the -f
>command, which basically tells dhcpd not to daemonize, which would be
>a good thing in our case, as the process of daemonizing would look to
>daemondo or launchd as if dhcpd were exiting, which would cause the
>constantly restarting behavior Blair described.

Hi James,

So I've looked up what "daemonize" means and I see it entails making a
child of the initializing process.  So I understand why daemondo thinks a
daemonized process has exited.  But might some processes not have a switch
to keep in the foreground as in the case of dhcp?  And if not, would that
be the rare case where startupitem.pidfile would be used with
startupitem.executable?  If I recall correctly, they could be used
together but I hadn't thought of a reason where it would be useful to do
so.  At the very least I should document that processes that daemonize are
a problem for startupitem.executable.

Mark