upgrading a port with no maintainer

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Mon Jan 21 06:15:56 PST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008, at 3:16 AM, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> 1. Easy enough - just change the Portfile with "port edit
> <portname>", make your changes, test/edit/repeat.
>
> 2. The submit process, however, should be a lot easier than it is.
> Today, you open a new trac ticket and attach your new Portfile
> asking "can somebody please commit this for me?"   In a more ideal
> world, there would be a "port submit" command which caused far more
> magical things to happen.
>
> Whatever happened to the "port submit" project initiative anyway?
> Wasn't that supposed to come about for free with the remote index? :-)

	Sure, it was! Remote Index would have brought that and many other
goodies. Sadly enough, remote index was never implemented, so we don't
have them at present :-( Hope somebody steps up in the not too distant
future to start doing some of the leg work ;-)

	So, as an alternative, our guidelines to submitting tickets are very
well explained in this document: http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
  (regardless of the port having a maintainer or not).

	Regards,...

-jmpp