[MacPorts] #15891: Undefined symbols: _xmlTextReaderSchemaValidate _xmlTextReaderSchemaValidate

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jul 7 15:38:06 PDT 2008

On Jul 7, 2008, at 16:37, Caspar Florian Ebeling wrote:

>>> I am now running without the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH changed for MAMP and
>>> MacPorts and it all works.
>>>
>>> I guess the moral of the story is to keep the .profile as clean as
>>> possible.
>>>
>>> And I will probably move from MAMP to MacPorts too.
>>>
>>> But it all works at the moment so I am reluctant to switch them.
>>> Then again, the reason to start using MacPorts is the ability to
>>> use variants and to keep up to date with versions.
>>
>> The moral of the story is not to use DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH. :) Any
>> software that requires you to use that variable is pretty much
>> broken.
>
> but isn't quite necessary for running test and using binaries
> e.g. for building generated docs while still only staged and not fully
> installed?

Sure. Many ports set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH just for the testing phase.
It's fine if a port sets it where necessary during the build. That's
a temporary setting that doesn't live past that phase. But it's not
fine for a user to set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH e.g. in his .profile.
MacPorts won't look in the .profile while building, but the product
that MacPorts then built and linked with MacPorts parts might start
using other parts as directed by DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, and that's not
what we want.