distfiles.macports.org slow

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Mon Jul 7 19:34:06 PDT 2008

On Jul 7, 2008, at 6:22 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> MacPorts trunk seems to like picking distfiles.macports.org to
> download distfiles because its pings return fast, but actually
> downloading files from it is slow, like less than 10KB/sec. Anyone
> else seeing this?

I just did a quick test and I get much better results. Obviously, to
my office is 5-10 MB/s which is expected since the servers are very
close to me. But even downloading to my personal machine at home over
a cable modem averaged around 1 MB/s.  There's probably a point when
you're too far away for pings to accurately model the bandwidth
between, but I think you should be getting something better than 10KB/
s anyway.

-Bill