distfiles.macports.org slow

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Tue Jul 8 14:54:48 PDT 2008

On Jul 8, 2008, at 2:27 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2008, at 23:38, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> I just did a quick test and I get much better results. Obviously,
>>> to my office is 5-10 MB/s which is expected since the servers are
>>> very close to me. But even downloading to my personal machine at
>>> home over a cable modem averaged around 1 MB/s.  There's probably a
>>> point when you're too far away for pings to accurately model the
>>> bandwidth between, but I think you should be getting something
>>> better than 10KB/s anyway.
>>
>> I was downloading the gcc41 distfiles. The first file took forever,
>> transferring at about 5KB/sec. The next file transferred (or at
>> least, began transferring) at 130KB/sec or so. I think it's ok most
>> of the time, but sometimes it's very slow. I don't think it's my
>> network.
>
> Right now:
>
> --->  Fetching ruby
> --->  Attempting to fetch ruby-1.8.7-p22.tar.bz2 from http://distfiles.macports.org/ruby
>
> It's fetching at about 4KB/sec. My wireless signal strength is at
> maximum and it's the same if I put my MacBook Pro very near the
> access point. I'm on a Time Warner cable modem in San Antonio, TX.
> While this distfile is loading, I can view web pages from www.apple.com
>  transferring at 200KB/sec so the problem is not at my end.

Any chance you can tcpdump/wireshark a download to see if anything
obvious is happening? Also, www.apple.com is hosted in a different
location than macosforge.org. So a better comparison would be traffic
from one of our servers. An XQuartz or WebKit nightly dmg would be a
good target.

http://xquartz.macosforge.org/downloads/X11-2.2.3.pkg

http://builds.nightly.webkit.org/files/trunk/mac/WebKit-SVN-r35039.dmg

If you want some realtime troubleshooting, ping me on IRC.

-Bill