Ruby ports and 1.9

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Jul 8 17:29:32 PDT 2008

Caspar Florian Ebeling wrote:
> I have other issues myself. It is not entirely convincing to install
> ruby libraries
> via a generic package manager like mp, given that ruby has it's own in the
> form of Rubygems, which even comes builtin with 1.9.

The same thing applies to Perl. There is CPAN which distributes nearly
every Perl module available. But the problem is that you can't declare a
dependency on a specific module without a port.

Also, in my opinion it's easier for users to use only one package
manager (like MacPorts) to install software. Using cpan, gem and others
additionally might not be that easy. Especially this comes true when
using a GUI.

Rainer