Meaning of "Not a directory"

Uldis Bojars captsolo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 07:42:12 PDT 2008

> Marcus Calhoun-Lopez wrote:
> > > I am experimenting with a local version of graphviz.
> > > During the activation phase, I get the error:
> > > Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Not a directory
> > >
> > > Does anyone know the meaning of this error?
> [...]
>
> The current version of graphviz uses Python 2.4.
> I am trying to create a variant which uses Python 2.5
> since it is the most recent.

The same error message has appeared for me in a number of other ports.
Two such cases:
 - py25-pyqt4 (reported in
http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-July/010888.html,
no replies);
 - redland-bindings +python (after bringing it up to 1.0.8.1 since
previous versions of this port have problems earlier in the
installation process, not getting to the activation phase)

If this error appears in multiple packages (not for everyone, perhaps)
it would be good to have a FAQ entry on how to fix it.

Has someone else seen these messages? Would be good to find out under
what conditions these problems appear. So far it looks like they
appear in packages created using SWIG when Python bindings are used.

Marcus: did the same problem with Graphviz appear if you compile it
with Python 2.4?

Uldis