Adding distfiles to the repository

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Jul 17 15:00:00 PDT 2008

Rainer Müller wrote:
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> I think we should not add distfiles to the Subversion repository
>> anymore. They take up lots of room. I could make thousands of
>> portfile edits in the amount of disk space used by a single distfile.
>> I would rather use 1K in the repository to add a new distfiles mirror
>> to the portfile than use 5MB to store a copy of the distfile. There
>> is "no way" to remove data from the repository "ever" [1] so it has
>> always seemed like the wrong place to put distfiles. And thankfully
>> we now have a much better solution in the distfiles mirror. I think
>> the only reason to add a distfile to the repository is if the
>> distfiles mirror is unable to mirror it for some technical reason,
>> and that should be rare.
>
> I agree with you. Subversion repositories are not a good place to
> archive non-changing binary data.

Well, they are a good place to store non-changing binary data, it's just if you
don't need that data any more, say after a new version of the port comes out,
then you can't remove it and it consumes space forever.

We could set up a new svn repository for distfiles, separate from the one for
Portfile's, and that repository could be exported and reimported into a fresh
repository every so often when it got too big.

Blair