build.dir not based on configure.dir

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Jul 18 06:02:23 PDT 2008

On Jul 18, 2008, at 6:02 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> So destroot.dir is based on build.dir but build.dir isn't based on
> configure.dir. Why not? It means that if a port wants to override the
> configure/build/destroot directory it has to set both the
> configure.dir and the build.dir. Wouldn't it be nice if it could just
> set the configure.dir and the others would inherit the new value?

I think this was set this way because there are project where the
configure script is buried somewhere while you still need to run
'make' from the top level directory.

I'm not sure how common that is, however, so it might make sense to
swap the default to your suggestion (we'd have to go through and make
sure we don't break anything that depends on the old behavior, though).

--
Daniel J. Luke