Adding distfiles to the repository

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Fri Jul 18 10:45:26 PDT 2008

On Jul 17, 2008, at 4:08 PM, Blair Zajac wrote:

> William Siegrist wrote:

>>> This may be relevant for the php5-devel port as well. It's
>>> currently tracking php 5.2 release candidates but I now have a
>>> request from a user who wants to try a feature only available in
>>> php 5.3. The php team provides snapshot tarballs of php 5.3, but
>>> they're generated every two hours, and disappear after ten hours.
>>> So I would have to make sure to time my commit such that it's less
>>> than ten hours until the portmirror process runs on the distfiles
>>> mirror machine. Which I could do. But it would be convenient if I
>>> wouldn't have to remember to do that. Who knows what time of day I
>>> might feel like working on my ports.
>>>
>> The current process takes 6-8 hours to run and eats a decent amount
>> of cpu cycles because it tries to mirror every variant of every
>> port, so doing it more often wont work well on the server. Like
>> I've said before, this allows for daily re-trying if the mirroring
>> fails the first day.  What I could do is add a mirror attempt
>> during post-commit as well. So every port gets mirrored upon commit
>> and then once a day after that. When you commit, if your distfile
>> is unavailable, it'll get retried the next morning during the daily
>> job.  I think this is reasonable and covers everyone's needs.
>
> That sounds good.

I have a slightly-tested job in place for post-commit mirroring. It
will send email to maintainers if mirroring fails, much like how lint
nags you.

As for retriggering with extra commits, it actually doesnt try to
detect a distfile change. So if you commit lint or whitespace changes,
it'll try mirroring again.  But dont rely on or abuse that side
effect, just ping me in IRC or email me if you have mirroring issues.

-Bill