Chunked guide

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 23 17:45:55 PDT 2008

On Jul 22, 2008, at 04:38, Randall Wood wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 5:11 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Why not place this across all MacPorts sites?
>>> http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=011837386708472035020:5lqtx6zp3qw
>>
>> Searching across more than just guide.macports.org does not answer
>> the
>> question "Is this in the Guide?" It doesn't even answer the
>> question "How do
>> I use this?" For example, I might want search the Guide for
>> "build.dir" to
>> see what the default is. But using your search, I get a bunch of
>> tickets
>> where build.dir is mentioned, which is not what I wanted. If we
>> remove the
>> single-page Guide, or make the chunked Guide the preferred Guide,
>> then we
>> need to provide a way to search it, and only it.
>
> Are the topical searches within results not showing the guide? (Now  I
> just need to figure out how to get a topical search to be the default
> one...)

You mean the part after I do my search where it says:

Refine results for foo: Guide Tickets Changesets Ports Wiki

Honestly I hadn't seen that until now. It works fine when I click
"Guide".

Still I'd rather not search over everything, then have to refine my
search. I want the right search from the beginning. I guess I can
type "more:guide" into the search box. It would be easier if there
were a drop-down menu where I could select how I want to refine the
search right at the beginning.