postgresql83, binaries, and paths?

Jay Levitt lists-macports at shopwatch.org
Sun Jul 27 09:46:21 PDT 2008

I'm setting up a new Mac for Ruby development, and I tried installing the
postgresql83 and postgresql83-server ports.  But I couldn't install Ruby's
postgresql gem.  A little digging turned this up:

1. The postgres ports install the pg_config binary (among others) into
/opt/local/lib/postgresql83/bin/pg_config.  However, they don't add that
directory to PATH.  Should they?  What's the convention for ports and paths?
   Given the nice clean paths.d support in Leopard, I'd think they should
use it.

2. Why is that ending up in lib, anyway?  A clean build from the 8.3.3
source puts those files in /usr/local/pgsql/bin, which makes a little more
sense... I think...

3. The port makes a half-hearted attempt to get psql into your path: it
creates a link from /opt/local/bin/psql83 to
/opt/local/lib/postgresql83/bin/psql.  That seems odd too. If the philosophy
is to make it "just work", nobody's going to be typing "psql83"; they'll be
looking for "psql".  But if the philosophy is that users should be able to
do side-by-side installs and roll their own "psql-select", then why create
the link at all?

What do folks think?

Jay Levitt