[38646] trunk/doc-new/guide

Caspar Florian Ebeling febeling at macports.org
Tue Jul 29 09:57:29 PDT 2008

>>> Building the guide with docbook takes very long in my opinion. There is
>>> also
>>> a quicker 'make validate' which just checks for syntax errors before
>>> building.
>>
>> make guide takes 6.5 seconds on my machine, which is quick enough for me,
>> but the make validate takes only 2, so for just verifying while editing
>> this is
>> even better, of course.
>
> Oh, really *that* fast? Maybe something with my setup is wrong...
>
> $ make clean
>
> $ time make guide
> real    11m58.320s
> user    0m7.515s
> sys     0m1.018s

flomac:doc-new febeling$ make clean
flomac:doc-new febeling$ time make guide

real	0m6.436s
user	0m6.095s
sys	0m0.305s

> This is what I consider long. Although I have no idea why we have that big
> differences. Even for rebuilding without changes and without cleaning it
> takes that long. I am on a MacBook (Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 GHz).

So am I. That's when I whish I had strace on macs as well...

> I have the following relevant ports installed:
>
> $ port installed docbook* libxslt
> The following ports are currently installed:
>  docbook-dsssl @1.79_0 (active)
>  docbook-xml @4.5_1 (active)
>  docbook-xml-4.1.2 @4.1.2_1 (active)
>  docbook-xml-4.2 @4.2_0 (active)
>  docbook-xml-4.3 @4.3_0 (active)
>  docbook-xml-4.4 @4.4_0 (active)
>  docbook-xml-4.5 @4.5_0 (active)
>  docbook-xsl @1.73.2_0 (active)
>  libxslt @1.1.23_0 (active)

flomac:doc-new febeling$ port installed docbook* libxslt
  docbook-xml @4.5_1 (active)
  docbook-xml-4.1.2 @4.1.2_1 (active)
  docbook-xml-4.2 @4.2_0 (active)
  docbook-xml-4.3 @4.3_0 (active)
  docbook-xml-4.4 @4.4_0 (active)
  docbook-xml-4.5 @4.5_0 (active)
  docbook-xsl @1.72.0_0 (active)
  libxslt @1.1.22_0 (active)

Looks pretty similar... I bit less current on my side, but nothing
earth-shaking.

> Probably I should only keep one of the various docbook versions?
>
> I don't have XML_CATALOG_FILES in my environment as Bryan suggested in
> another mail.

Nor do I. And I didn't do any further magic or configuration. No idea, tbh.

Might be an outdated configuration on your machine, because I installed
and never upgraded it, so the configuration is as current as the version
numbers indeicate, I think April or so.

Florian

--
Florian Ebeling