Conflict with /Applications/MacPorts when multiple MacPorts instances installed

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Wed Jul 30 08:07:05 PDT 2008

Joshua Root wrote:

>>> The configure option you want is --with-applications-dir. A full
>>> list is
>>> available from './configure --help'.
>>
>> Hmm...I did that before posting and didn't see the option.  I checked
>> again to make sure and it's not listed.  I'm using MacPorts 1.6.0.
>> Maybe it's in the latest MacPorts development branch?
>
> Ah, sorry, you're right. That option is only present in svn trunk, not
> 1.6.0.

MacPorts installs ports in *four* different places: (default values)

- prefix (/opt/local)
- x11prefix (/usr/X11R6)
- applications-dir (/Applications/MacPorts)
- frameworks-dir (/Library/Frameworks)

Some of these were hardcoded in the previous releases, such as 1.6.0.

MacPorts "base" installs itself into:
- prefix (/opt/local)
- tclpackage (/Library/Tcl)
It's also possible to change ports-dir.