buildmakejobs 0 by default to allow parallel builds

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jul 31 18:14:20 PDT 2008

Why don't we set buildmakejobs to 0 by default in the macports.conf?
Setting it to 0 makes MacPorts set the number of make jobs to the
number of processors or processor cores. Currently, we default
buildmakejobs to 1, meaning software is not built in parallel.

We already require individual ports to declare "use_parallel_build
yes" in order to get parallel building. So any ports that say
"use_parallel_build yes" have been specifically tested and found to
work in a parallel build environment. So why don't we allow users to
benefit from this out of the box? I would expect that many users
don't even know they can speed up their builds by changing
buildmakejobs.

On my system, I also set buildnicevalue to 1, instead of the current
default of 0, so that other tasks on my computer are still snappy
while MacPorts is building something. IMHO something nonzero would be
a better default value for buildnicevalue.

Comments?