gcc-4.2 for Leopard

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jun 18 21:11:28 PDT 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 5:38 PM, Boyd Waters wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2008, at 4:22 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> I don't want to introduce yet more ways for two users to think they
>>> have installed the same thing but in fact they haven't. You're just
>>> creating more support headaches that way.
>>
>> It is already possible to choose another compiler from the command
>> line:
>>
>>   $ sudo port install <portname> configure.compiler=gcc-4.2
>>
>> So adding a new option in macports.conf just moves this from the
>> command
>> line to a config file.
>>
>> But I can understand your concerns that users might be blindly
>> choosing
>> gcc-4.2 (that's the one with the greater number!) without knowledge.
>
> Is there some way to specify a global set of command-line arguments?
>
> You can set EXTRA_ENV in macports.conf, but not command-line args?
>
> I've had to hack portconfigure.tcl in order to get what I want. Is
> there a better way?

If there's an option you want to have set globally, it should be in
the macports.conf

But there are a lot of command line options we have right now which I
wouldn't want to support as conf file options. I don't even want to
have them as command line options. We even have some conf file
options in trunk already which might should not be there.