Variables, options, and keys -- oh my!

Boyd Waters bwaters at nrao.edu
Thu Jun 19 19:41:23 PDT 2008

On Jun 19, 2008, at 5:57 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Boyd Waters wrote:
>> So if I set configure.compiler in macports.conf, it gets picked up
>> unless overridden in the Port file?
>
> There is no option yet in macports.conf, that's what I am proposing
> here.
>
> Currently you can only use it from command line, but this will
> override configure.compiler from the Portfile.

Ok, thanks. I thought I was missing something really fundamental.

So here's a fundamental question: why can't we set port parameters in
the macports.conf?

Then if the option is set in the Portfile, it overrides what is in the
macports.conf. And if the user specifies it on the command line, that
overrides anything in either of them. If the option isn't set
anywhere, use a reasonable default value.

Most of my users never look inside that macports.conf file, they are
not aware it exists. They would be "safe".

But I manage a build system that uses 30-40 ports, and I've had to
tweak individual portfiles rather than modify a global parameter.

   - boyd

Boyd Waters
Scientific Programmer
National Radio Astronomy Observatory