MacPorts AutoBuild

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Jun 20 10:10:14 PDT 2008

On May 31, 2008, at 5:24 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
> I've had it successfully build about 145 ports so far, with several
> failing for various reasons.  It starts to slow down when you are
> dealing when building a port with many dependencies as it will
> uninstall all ports between each build attempt for better cleanroom
> building.  My MBP's HD gets a bit slow when frequently extracting then
> removing thousands of files....
>
> Give it a try if you'd like and reply here or update the wiki page.

I'm running it now, and it seems pretty cool.

I don't know if you have plans for future development, but I was
thinking the following would be good:

- Add a way to add more macports.conf settings (enabling parallel
builds perhaps)
- Use archive mode or activate/inactivate to speed things up for ports
with lots of dependencies (unless I'm missing something, I think that
ports end up getting rebuilt multiple times as dependencies since
everything gets uninstalled between port builds)

We could also do a 'distributed' build test by having the build app
ask a macports server for a port (or list of ports) it should build
test and then it could send back the success/failure + log which could
be stored. We could then send out nag emails (or open tickets)
automatically for ports that don't build, which would be nice.

Alternatively, we could set up a dedicated build-test system somewhere
that could test ports as they are changed (perhaps a post-commit hook
could add to a list of ports to test), but I don't think that
macosforge has resources for that (yet?)

Thoughts?
--
Daniel J. Luke